Sunday, June 19, 2011

Black Pawn to a5

I'm an old, old man. I've played many a sold-out concert, and quite a few where nobody came. I've noticed that some of my best performances come from when I play in the streets. The people of this world are both enraptured and repulsed at my prowess.

There was no slow descent into madness for me. There was only a week between when I first met the Black King and when He took me for His own. It was not a simple introduction, nor a particularly complex one. I had come home from a friend's musical, in the orchestra of which I had participated. A young child, a boy, I think, stood at the huge tree outside my apartment building. His cat had scampered up the branches and the boy could not get her to come down. I offered to rescue her for him. I set my case on the sidewalk and climbed up the tree, awkwardly, but familiarly, like a lame mountain goat.

In the tree, something touched me. Something slid my fingers off of the branches, seconds before I reached the cat. I fell, and when I awoke again the doctors told me my back was broken. They told me to rest for a time and they would transfer me to a hospital where I could be properly treated and cared for. I paid no attention to them. Sometimes in my dreams I can still see the shocked faces of the doctors when I swung out of bed and left the clinic mere hours after I was admitted. Sometimes, in my nightmares, they are shocked at the things I have done since then. But I hold no regret. No remorse.

My case was right where I left it. The cat was spread across the street. I did not see the boy again for two months.

Fiddler

6 comments:

  1. Curiouser and curiouser. I assume you play the fiddle?

    -Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a jack of all trades...but I suppose if I were a master of any I'd be a master of the fiddle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, who the hell are you and why are you grabbing at my coat tails?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, don't think so much of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, and I'm blind and legally retarded. A toddler could point out the blatant similarities and the suspicious way you've not only latched onto my old metaphors for the board, but my new mannerisms.

    Perhaps you should simply own up to coasting on another's reputation and then build up one of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have your idiosyncrasies, and I have mine. It's hardly fair of you to assume one is leeching off of your ruined "reputation" by way of a few stray sentences and roaring misinterpretations.

    ReplyDelete